Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

1988 Topps Gallery of Champions


Set Size: 12 cards, 1-1/4" x 1"

Design Notes: These cards are made of aluminum, using the 1988 Topps design in a relief format. The backs contain statistics and biographical information. The cards are actually parallels of the players' flagship 1988 Topps cards.

Parallels and Similars: Bronze and silver parallels exist.

Distribution: Complete sets in velvet cases were sold through dealers; 1000 of the silver sets were produced.

Thoughts: I really like these sets, despite their small size. The detail is pretty good, especially for such a small card, and they can display well.

6 comments:

  1. I have only vaguely heard of these but they look awesome.

    I wonder if anybody tried to get one graded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure someone tried at least one of them. And then they've listed it on eBay as "the only PSA 10 in existence!" since nobody else has submitted theirs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just outbid on one of these sets... and also a 1986 Topps GOC set. I'll eventually add these to my PC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you've seen from my recent Pinnacle posts, I love these metal relief cards. I have a full set from one year. It would be great to have a complete run. They come in a nice display/storage box too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have half of a set of the silver ones. I found over 50k in baseball cards sitting on the side of the road with these in the bottom of the box.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GOMOs Tats: That's awesome! I'm afraid of giving away boxes of cards to find that I left a high-value card inside. But I don't want to strip the boxes of all their values, at the same time.

    ReplyDelete